Monday 29 August 2011

Let the Games Begin

Well it's coming to that time of the year again when I spend most of my spare time in the kitchen for the Upcoming Melbourne Show Cookery Competitions. A tremendous way to test the skills of a home cook.


Last year (2010) I was successful in winning 3rd prize in the Confectionary category of fudge with my 'Blueberry Chocolate' Fudge but lost out in my Decorated Cupcake entry. It was a rewarding achievement especially when you receive a ribbon and certificate for your efforts.


This will be my 3rd year of entires and once again entering into the Confectionary world of Fudge, but am not entirely ready to present you with my flavour of 2011 yet. But I am also entering into a new category of Brownies.


Last weekend I spent hours on end with Kylie sorting through my collection of picked recipes and techniques to then engorge ourselves and family with 3 batches of fudge and 2 batches of brownies.


A total of 9 hours spent amending recipes and licking the spoon to test for more changes just so the recipe and results were where I wanted them to be, to ensure that this year I could get that 1st prize ribbon. 


With everyone in there seats judgement was unleashed on which recipe was prefered, which flavour, what texture and why. Just like being judged by the judges of Master Chef, it is amazing how each individual chooses different products due to what their taste buds prefer.


Pleasing to know that by the end of sampling each fudge and each brownie and feeling over enriched in chocolaty goodness, the verdict was unanimous and my recipes chosen ready for the Judgement day of September 18th.


Until then I can only hope that what I have come up with will be pleasing for others to judge and talk about it in years to come.


Be ready for the results, but until then keep this quote in mind "Good food ends with Good talk".

No comments:

Post a Comment